Saturday, January 2, 2010
This weekend, M took L'il Man and three cousins (all boys) to the lake for a "Guy's Weekend." Sunshine spent the weekend in Fairhope with her little cousin, and Kit Kat, AAA, and I enjoyed THE BEST GIRL"S WEEKEND EVER!
I had been looking forward to this weekend for quite some time. Anytime I am minus two or more children, I am incredibly productive. Plus, with the hubby being gone, as well.......well, let's just say he's not here to ask me why in the world I am painting "that room" (Take your pick) again. I was really planning on painting the kitchen this weekend.
But then my 6 year old said to me with the sweetest smile ever (because she is missing her two front teeth and therefore extra adorable!), "I don't want this to be a work weekend. I want to do stuff together, like read, and go to McDonald's."
I felt so guilty when she said that.
Of course that is what she wants. She's one of four and it's not very often that she has me to her self or has to share me with just one other sibling.
Now on a side note, without getting too personal or invading anyone elses' privacy, I need to tell you that I have a very close family member - a young mom who also has four children - who had a stroke and is now going on week 4 of being in the hospital and remaining unresponsive. She is the best mom I've ever met. Not only is she the best mom I've ever know, she's also the best wife and the best example of a true Godly woman you'll ever meet. One of the "cousins" that I mentioned above who is at the lake with M this weekend is her son. When this cousin's dad dropped their son off at our house this week, he and I (the dad and I) were having a pretty serious discussion about his wife's situation, prognosis, etc. While we were talking, my little Sunshine came up and asked me to fix her pants because they were too tight. So I fumbled with the elastic for a few minutes and re-positioned the button on the elastic. When I turned my attention back to "this cousin's dad", his eyes were misty and he said, "That's priceless. It's the little things you need to savor." I would have never in a million years savored that moment. But now it's burned into my brain and I'll never forget her little white tummy poking out as she showed me where the elastic was too tight on "my belly" ,as she stated. She knew I'd make it all better and she waited patiently while I adjusted her pants. I asked, "All better?" and she gave me a thumb's up before running off. I probably miss "moments" like that all day long. I just go through the motions without stopping to savor the moment.
So needless to say,the kitchen did not see a paintbrush this weekend.
Oh, but we did do a little painting! The three of us went in for a little toe nail painting! Neither of the girls have ever received a full pedicure. It was definitely a splurge and I'm still kinda irritated that theirs cost the same as mine. However, the time spent having pedicures together was priceless. Both girls knew that it was a treat and they were super excited. AAA's excitement turned into relaxation, however. I thought she was going to fall asleep when they rubbed lotion on her legs. And I was SOOOOO afraid that KitKat was going to tee-tee when they put the warm towel on her legs!
On Friday, we went to see The Squeakwel. It was adorable! And yes...we ate at McDonalds. We've read "Dick and Jane" from cover to cover. Dick, Jane, Sally, Mother, and Father would all be proud of how well KitKat read. I was proud. But mainly she was proud!
I am sad that my weekend is coming to an end. But I am ready to see the rest of my family!!!
I know I am rambling, but I have another thought that I think I'll share. Do you remember the post about not having a house keeper? I think I might be having a change of heart. And I'll tell you why.
M is so great about taking the kids to the lake or to a movie to give me time to myself. But 9 times out of 10 I end up staying at home and cleaning the house. I miss lots of family time so that I can stay home and clean my house. We've never been to a movie as a family. I never want to go. I see it as 2 hours to sweep, mop, and vacuum. And that makes me sad.
AAA will be double digits soon and Sunshine will start school in the fall. I want to KNOW that I savored every minute. And right now, I don't really know that for sure.
Anyway...I told you I was rambling. I need to go to bed. I've got some sleepy heads who are counting on me to sleep with them. I can't wait to hear their breathing and kiss their cheeks.
Night night.
I had been looking forward to this weekend for quite some time. Anytime I am minus two or more children, I am incredibly productive. Plus, with the hubby being gone, as well.......well, let's just say he's not here to ask me why in the world I am painting "that room" (Take your pick) again. I was really planning on painting the kitchen this weekend.
But then my 6 year old said to me with the sweetest smile ever (because she is missing her two front teeth and therefore extra adorable!), "I don't want this to be a work weekend. I want to do stuff together, like read, and go to McDonald's."
I felt so guilty when she said that.
Of course that is what she wants. She's one of four and it's not very often that she has me to her self or has to share me with just one other sibling.
Now on a side note, without getting too personal or invading anyone elses' privacy, I need to tell you that I have a very close family member - a young mom who also has four children - who had a stroke and is now going on week 4 of being in the hospital and remaining unresponsive. She is the best mom I've ever met. Not only is she the best mom I've ever know, she's also the best wife and the best example of a true Godly woman you'll ever meet. One of the "cousins" that I mentioned above who is at the lake with M this weekend is her son. When this cousin's dad dropped their son off at our house this week, he and I (the dad and I) were having a pretty serious discussion about his wife's situation, prognosis, etc. While we were talking, my little Sunshine came up and asked me to fix her pants because they were too tight. So I fumbled with the elastic for a few minutes and re-positioned the button on the elastic. When I turned my attention back to "this cousin's dad", his eyes were misty and he said, "That's priceless. It's the little things you need to savor." I would have never in a million years savored that moment. But now it's burned into my brain and I'll never forget her little white tummy poking out as she showed me where the elastic was too tight on "my belly" ,as she stated. She knew I'd make it all better and she waited patiently while I adjusted her pants. I asked, "All better?" and she gave me a thumb's up before running off. I probably miss "moments" like that all day long. I just go through the motions without stopping to savor the moment.
So needless to say,the kitchen did not see a paintbrush this weekend.
Oh, but we did do a little painting! The three of us went in for a little toe nail painting! Neither of the girls have ever received a full pedicure. It was definitely a splurge and I'm still kinda irritated that theirs cost the same as mine. However, the time spent having pedicures together was priceless. Both girls knew that it was a treat and they were super excited. AAA's excitement turned into relaxation, however. I thought she was going to fall asleep when they rubbed lotion on her legs. And I was SOOOOO afraid that KitKat was going to tee-tee when they put the warm towel on her legs!
On Friday, we went to see The Squeakwel. It was adorable! And yes...we ate at McDonalds. We've read "Dick and Jane" from cover to cover. Dick, Jane, Sally, Mother, and Father would all be proud of how well KitKat read. I was proud. But mainly she was proud!
I am sad that my weekend is coming to an end. But I am ready to see the rest of my family!!!
I know I am rambling, but I have another thought that I think I'll share. Do you remember the post about not having a house keeper? I think I might be having a change of heart. And I'll tell you why.
M is so great about taking the kids to the lake or to a movie to give me time to myself. But 9 times out of 10 I end up staying at home and cleaning the house. I miss lots of family time so that I can stay home and clean my house. We've never been to a movie as a family. I never want to go. I see it as 2 hours to sweep, mop, and vacuum. And that makes me sad.
AAA will be double digits soon and Sunshine will start school in the fall. I want to KNOW that I savored every minute. And right now, I don't really know that for sure.
Anyway...I told you I was rambling. I need to go to bed. I've got some sleepy heads who are counting on me to sleep with them. I can't wait to hear their breathing and kiss their cheeks.
Night night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment