Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Guilt Shmilt!

Yesterday I met with a group of moms to discuss a book we're reading, "The Most Important Place on Earth" (still don't know how to underline!). Basically the book is about creating a Christian home, with home being "the most important place on Earth." During our discussion, one of the moms brought something up that we didn't really address at the time. However, throughout the course of the day, I found myself thinking about it over and over. She said that she really suffers from guilt when it comes to her children. She "beats herself up" with questions like,"Did I spend enough time time with 'Child A' today?" "Did I talk on my cell phone too much while we were in the car?"
I think the reason that I kept thinking about it yesterday is that I have SO been there. However, I'm not there anymore. But I didn't realize I wasn't "there" until yesterday. So what I've been asking myself is,"Why am I not there anymore? What has changed? How did I get here without realizing it?" Of course -it's because I have the whole parenting thing figured out - I'm perfect, so there's nothing to feel guilty about! NOT!! I'm FAR from perfect and I fall short and fail miserably everyday.
But somehow along the way I've discovered God's grace and I feel completely "covered" in it. I spent many YEARS beating myself up over past failures and mistakes that I had made. I wasted a LOT of time feeling guilty and being upset when I could have been enjoying life the way God intended. Maybe I've impressed these lessons on my children enough that they're finally beginning to rub off on me! So to any moms out there who live under a cloud of guilt, I'll tell you like I try to tell my children : when we make mistakes and sin (whether it was ten years ago or ten minutes ago), we ask for forgiveness. Then Jesus forgives!! And then he forgets!! He wipes the slate clean. God's mercy forgives and restores! So RECEIVE His forgiveness and enjoy life the way God intended when He sent Jesus!

Can I get an "Amen"?!

Thanking God today for His mercy and loving-kindness!

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Missed you in interval class this am. Thought maybe you went to the bible study with Barclay and Carrie. It was a good class, you need to come to the TurboKick, that was awesome.

Love your comments, I do think most moms deal with guilt on a daily basis. We all want so badly to do exactly the right thing for each child every time.

E

mimi said...

What were you doing up at 4:38 am - that's way past your bedtime. love mom

barclay said...

Now this is what blogging is all about! I feel like I learned something. Glad Sunshine is back. Have a great day!

Tiffany said...

Barclay, you are a wonderful mommy and have nothing to feel guilty about!!

Tiffany said...

Mimi- It's on a different time zone!! Since H. wasn't here to wake me bright and early, I was actually able to sleep til 6:30. XO

Tiffany said...

Elizabeth - I'll see in the morning at 8:30!! And you don't have anything to feel guilty about, either!!