Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Facebook???
Are any of you familiar with Facebook? I have twin brothers who are seniors in high school. They have become friends with my sweet,precious, darling babysitter, LL. LL is 18 years old and has been babysitting for us every week since she was 12 (this reminds me of a story - I'll post it tomorrow). One night, while she was at our house, she was chatting with my nrothers on Facebook. I wanted to chat with them too, but I had to have a Facebook account, which I didn't have. I quickly set one up, but then realized that they would have to accept my invitation to be their "friend". Then I felt bad. What 17 year old boy wants their 38 year old sister to be his friend on Facebook?! That meant that I would be able to read everything on their wall. I'm sure that they don't want me reading everything on their wall!! Anyhoo... I set up the account and only one of my brothers accepted my invitation to be his friend (bless him!)Well since then, my sister who is 3 years younger than me, has fallen in love with Facebook. She says it's a real ego-booster - her number of "friends" multiplied quickly! ( A friend of hers told her that Facebook was a glorified "Popularity Contest" to see who could have the most friends. She said she agreed and thought it was great!)She has been bugging me to communicate with her through Facebook, but I have been unable to remember my password. I couldn't even get the "Forgot Password?" approach to work for me! She even tried! Finally, yesterday, I figured out how to re-set my password. And all of a sudden I had lots of friends! I was able to pull up some photos of high school and college friends, and even see who is friends with whom. I realized that one of my old college roommates is friends with my ex-boyfriend. The only thing they had in common was me. Which made me wonder, "What in the world are they saying about me?" It was kind of driving me crazy! And then I began to wonder, "Do I really want to go there?" Do I really want to re-visit my high-school and college days? Those were some of the best days of my life, but also some of the worst! LOTS of regrets!
It has been fun re-connecting with some old friends, but some things are better left the way we left them! Our parents didn't have this opportunity to re-connect with past friends/flames via the Internet. Maybe it's a good thing. What do you think?
(On a side note, there is also an alumni sight for one of the high schools that I went to in 9th grade. I've been able to read what these people have written about their lives. Most of the time it's depressing, and the pictures that they post make them look old and tired. I told my husband that I felt depressed after being on that site because so many people seemed so sad. Hes quickly replied, "The happy ones aren't getting on the site." There's probably a lot of truth in that!)
It has been fun re-connecting with some old friends, but some things are better left the way we left them! Our parents didn't have this opportunity to re-connect with past friends/flames via the Internet. Maybe it's a good thing. What do you think?
(On a side note, there is also an alumni sight for one of the high schools that I went to in 9th grade. I've been able to read what these people have written about their lives. Most of the time it's depressing, and the pictures that they post make them look old and tired. I told my husband that I felt depressed after being on that site because so many people seemed so sad. Hes quickly replied, "The happy ones aren't getting on the site." There's probably a lot of truth in that!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh girl...I'm all about facebook. You must have hidden yourself. I can't find you. You'll have to add me. We have had a real Phi Mu reunion on there. It is wonderful.
Do you watch Desperate Housewives, last week the mom made up a persona so that she could chat with one of her twin boys. I thought that was where you were going with your brothers. Don't, it didn't end well!
Don't drink the kool-aid! I did and look what it did to me...I'd rather rearrange my flair than brush my teeth.
Post a Comment