Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Live, Laugh, Love
The past couple of weeks have been rather emotional for me. As I sit back now and reflect on them, I thought I'd share with you just a little bit of what I have learned. The timing of the events in my life during the past couple of weeks is all His. I know He's trying to get my attention. Some of the things that have happened are too personal to share in the blogosphere, but I'll attempt to share as much as I can.
A few weeks ago I was contacted via Facebook by a friend from high school and college. Apparently he had something to ask me. Basically the question was, "Why did you stand me up 15 years ago?" It's bugged him all these years and he wanted an answer so he could quit wondering about it. He had made amends with several important people in his life prior to their deaths. At his 20th high school reunion, he was looking forward to seeing one other guy in particular, to apologize to him for having been mean to him during high school, and to congratulate him on his success as an adult. As it turns out, the guy he was looking for had been killed. So my friend wasn't able to make amends with him.
I was touched by this story and began to realize that there are a few people out there I need to make amends with. I saw one of them the very day that I had resolved to contact her. She doesn't even live in this town! I hadn't seen her in over 2 years. But there she was! At Hasting's. I was in line and she was in the little closed-in section out front. I asked the lady in line to hold my place, then I knocked on the glass and waved to my friend as I held up one finger for her to hang on one minute. It was so great to see her smiling face. She has suffered through a terrible divorce and an even worse dating relationship following her divorce. During all of that time, I kept my distance from her. I apologized to her for being such a bad friend during all of this. She smiled and said, "I'm just glad you're telling me now." She's precious.
At the very same time that all of this is going on, I had another friend on my mind whom I felt like I needed to call. That very day she contacted me via Facebook. She was my very best friend from high school, my college roommate, and my matron of honor in my wedding. I had not spoken to her in 2 years. She had done something that I had judged as wrong, and the relationship ended. I called her last week and heard a broken, remorseful soul on the other end of the line. My heart ached for her. Her life had literally been turned upside down because of a decision that she had made duing an 8 week span of time. I had no idea. She could have used a friend. I wasn't there. While her decision 2 years ago wasn't at all about me, I still took it personally and felt so betrayed. I apologized to her. SHE apologized to ME. I missed my friend. While the conversation was a bit awkward, it quickly felt just as comfortable and easy as it had always been.
During all of this, my granddad turned 95. I had decided that I would be unable to attend his birthday party because it was "Soccer Tournament Weekend" for AA and Little Man. I woke up on the morning of his birthday and began blogging about him. I realized right then and there, that I was going to Mobile...I was going to his birthday party! How could I not!?! M stayed with AA and Little Man and they made it to their games. Sunshine, KitKAt and I made a road trip. I wouldn't trade it for anything!
So what is my point in all of this? Why am I telling you all of this? I've wasted two years feeling betrayed by a friend who really needed me as a friend. I almost missed my Grandaddy's 95th Birthday Party so I could go to the 200th soccer game of the season. I abandoned a friend during her divorce because I didn't know what to say. ...I just want to encourage you to make amends, forgive, love, be a better friend.
Thanking God today for meaningful relationships in my life and for forgiveness. And for allowing me to make amends and not miss another opportunity to tell someone I love them.
A few weeks ago I was contacted via Facebook by a friend from high school and college. Apparently he had something to ask me. Basically the question was, "Why did you stand me up 15 years ago?" It's bugged him all these years and he wanted an answer so he could quit wondering about it. He had made amends with several important people in his life prior to their deaths. At his 20th high school reunion, he was looking forward to seeing one other guy in particular, to apologize to him for having been mean to him during high school, and to congratulate him on his success as an adult. As it turns out, the guy he was looking for had been killed. So my friend wasn't able to make amends with him.
I was touched by this story and began to realize that there are a few people out there I need to make amends with. I saw one of them the very day that I had resolved to contact her. She doesn't even live in this town! I hadn't seen her in over 2 years. But there she was! At Hasting's. I was in line and she was in the little closed-in section out front. I asked the lady in line to hold my place, then I knocked on the glass and waved to my friend as I held up one finger for her to hang on one minute. It was so great to see her smiling face. She has suffered through a terrible divorce and an even worse dating relationship following her divorce. During all of that time, I kept my distance from her. I apologized to her for being such a bad friend during all of this. She smiled and said, "I'm just glad you're telling me now." She's precious.
At the very same time that all of this is going on, I had another friend on my mind whom I felt like I needed to call. That very day she contacted me via Facebook. She was my very best friend from high school, my college roommate, and my matron of honor in my wedding. I had not spoken to her in 2 years. She had done something that I had judged as wrong, and the relationship ended. I called her last week and heard a broken, remorseful soul on the other end of the line. My heart ached for her. Her life had literally been turned upside down because of a decision that she had made duing an 8 week span of time. I had no idea. She could have used a friend. I wasn't there. While her decision 2 years ago wasn't at all about me, I still took it personally and felt so betrayed. I apologized to her. SHE apologized to ME. I missed my friend. While the conversation was a bit awkward, it quickly felt just as comfortable and easy as it had always been.
During all of this, my granddad turned 95. I had decided that I would be unable to attend his birthday party because it was "Soccer Tournament Weekend" for AA and Little Man. I woke up on the morning of his birthday and began blogging about him. I realized right then and there, that I was going to Mobile...I was going to his birthday party! How could I not!?! M stayed with AA and Little Man and they made it to their games. Sunshine, KitKAt and I made a road trip. I wouldn't trade it for anything!
So what is my point in all of this? Why am I telling you all of this? I've wasted two years feeling betrayed by a friend who really needed me as a friend. I almost missed my Grandaddy's 95th Birthday Party so I could go to the 200th soccer game of the season. I abandoned a friend during her divorce because I didn't know what to say. ...I just want to encourage you to make amends, forgive, love, be a better friend.
Thanking God today for meaningful relationships in my life and for forgiveness. And for allowing me to make amends and not miss another opportunity to tell someone I love them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I LOVED this post...I am so glad that the Lord put you as my "little man's" SS teacher...what a blessing to learn from someone like you and M! Have a great week!!
Thank you for the lesson. Have a blessed day with your kids.
You are precious! I'm happy to call you my friend. I wish all my friends had such clarity.
Great post! I will definately take it to heart.
Wow, thank you for this beautiful post!
I just commented on "seriously" and it's true, we are so petty sometimes and we all need to put on our "big girl panties" and get on with it. Life is too short to spend it being mad or missing the forest for the trees. (Any cliches' I left out?
Thank you Tiffany...I swear you should write a book (in all that spare time you have lying around)
Emmy
Jennifer, you are so sweet. But my point about myslef was that I haven't had clarity! But thanks for the sweet words - I wish I deserved them.
Hey tiff- absolutely love your shirt- where can I find one? :)
holley - i got mine from THE cutest girl in Birmingham! I'll let you borrow it!
Post a Comment