Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Seriously?

I just read a friend's blog that prompted me to steal her blog subject and use it as my own. Her question that she put out there was,"So what's the hardest part to you, of being a woman?" If you are a man, you may want to quit reading now. If you are a woman, join me! Let's see...where should we start? With child birth? Or maybe pregnancy? Which part of pregnancy? The weight gain? Or the morning sickness (some man coined the phrase "Morning sickness"...we know it's 24/7)? Remembering everyones birth dates, birth weights, social security numbers, shoe sizes, and food preferences (NewsFlash: Burger King now has a Kraft mac and cheese kids meal...thank you,God)? The never-ending carpool lines (while you're sitting on empty and have been all day)?
Or is it the constant interruptions "Mom, come wipe me. Mom. I didn't get any apple juice. Mom, can you come pour me some milk? Mom, you forgot to tuck me in. Mom, can you put my hair in a pony tail? Mom, where are my soccer cleats? I can't find my tennis shoes. Mom, we didn't read for 30 minutes. Mom, you forgot to test me on my spelling words. Mom, don't forget you said you'd help with the ice cream party at school tomorrow. Mom, can we go buy me some new jeans - these are too tight."

Okay I'll calm down. I just got a little carried away.

Or is it the gutt-wrenching conversations you have to have with your 8 year old little girl about why so-and-so was mean today. And you tell them that the first thing we're going to do is forgive them. Then we're going to pray for them. Then we're going to do something nice for them. How can I expect my eight year old to do this when I can't do it myself? I can't tell her that what I really want to do is call her momma right now and tell her to beat her little girl for making mine cry!

Or is it the NEVER-Ending cycle of laundry, making beds, cleaning bathrooms, and cooking dinner?! And I mean NEVER ENDING!

Or is is that you ask your 4 year old for just one bite of her Reese's peanut butter cup and she puts the whole thing in her mouth and you think to yourself,"Well never mind that I've cooked you breakfast, lunch, and dinner, wiped your bottom twice today, brushed your teeth, made your bed, kissed your boo-boo, and washed your hair."? I just wanted a little bite of that chocolate and you get teary-eyed just thinking about how great that would have tasted.

Or is it that you have to hide in your closet to eat your OWN Reese's peanut butter cup so that you won't have to share?

Or is it just the task of remembering every little thing for every little body in your family?
AA asked me today when her next dentist appointment was. I just looked at her and said, "The day after they give me the reminder call." Same way for my hair cut appointment. And any other appointment. If I don't get a reminder call, I don't even feel guilty for being a "no-show". Which also reminds me, I can't get my hair cut at "Envision" because I was a "no-show" twice in a row, and as my friend told me, "Delana doesn't do no-shows." uh-oh!



Or is it simply not losing the mail on your way from the mailbox to the kitchen? I recently vowed to not check the mail anymore. Well let me clarify - I do check the mail. I get mine out and leave M's in the mailbox. You can't imagine the number of fights this has saved us. He could not understand how I could lose the mail on the way from the mailbox to the front door. He'd come home every day and ask,"Did you check the mail?" I honestly had no idea. "I don't know if I did or not", I'd reply. "Okay, well if you did (check it) where would it be?" , he 'd ask. "I have no idea. It might be in the car still... if I checked it while I was in the car.", I would reply. So my solution...he can check his own mail. It really works for us. I'm all about whatever it takes to make it work.


So I'm curious...what do you think is the hardest part of being a woman?


Thanking God today for giving me the hardest and the most amazing job in the world...mommy duty! I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

7 comments:

Julee H. Nappier said...

Where to start???
I don't know? I DO know that it's exhausting and rewarding all in one big package.

I love it all, but get tired just thinking about the day to come sometimes.

Feel blessed and cursed at the sametime!(: Understand??

barclay said...

You know one of the best parts of being a mom - there are so many of us who are in the same boat! That makes me feel better.

Emmy said...

Oh boy, did you open a can of worms with this...where to begin?

First I echo everything you said, right down to the checking the mail thing. I'm totally stealing that idea!

Second, I detest having to shave my legs every day, because one of my children will point out if I haven't.
It kills me that I get worse looking as I age and he gets better looking!
I pray for my daughter because I don't care how old we get, it still the petty things that we all fuss about no matter the age. Women are vicious, we need to support each other, not worry about being left out or not invited somewhere!
Okay, stepping down off my soapbox now, can you tell I was riled up this week!?
Thanks for your great post!
It feels so good to vent!!!
Emmy

mimi said...

o.k. girls, you better love every minute you live. The hardest part? your children growing up and living somewhere else with your grandchildren without you. And your sons-in-laws showing no interest in building a little room for you, so you can hangout with them! Boo-hoo! Or, when they all spend the night, you have to sleep with your husband instead of with all the children or worse yet, they want you to sleep with "papa" instead of them. Boo-hoo-hoo. You just wait, it gets harder and harder. And as far as getting older and looking it, I've decided to say I'm ten years older than I actually am and listen to the raves: "God, she look great for her age!" and "I pray I look like her when I get old!" Try it, it really works. Love, mimi

Tiffany said...

Girls - I think my mom is right! But we already knew that,anyway. Mimi, good idea about the age thing! I'll just start saying I'm 48!

Unknown said...

Ha! I look fabulous for 44. Thanks Mom! Great idea on the mail- I make a stack for Scott by the door but it has been there for 3 months. Maybe if I left it in the mailbox for him instead....hmmm So funny about the reeses cup- I can just see you in there. Mom- is that what the wrappers were all about? :) My least favorite part of everyday? Figuring out what to feed the family for dinner and feeling bad over eating out because I can't think of anything....

Elizabeth said...

Oh Tiff, I think I belong in your family.
Not remembering when I checked the mail!! I don't know, if it isn't in there maybe I did.

Sister Holley, I am so with you about dinner. i hate dinner time, I hate meal planning, I hate grocery shopping, I hate chicken nuggetts, I hate cheeze pizza and my children hate every thing else!!