Friday, May 22, 2009

No Way!






















There is NO WAY that my "baby" brothers graduated from high school last night!!!!
I can't believe it!

I swear it seems like "just yesterday" that they were born. I was actually 21 years old when they were born, a junior in college. At the time, I was in Tuscaloosa at the Univ of Alabama and my parents were in Sewanee, Tn., where my dad was attending seminary (mid-life crisis). I ached for those little babies! I was so keenly aware of my strong love for them. I often wondered if I loved them so much because I was really old enough to be their mother. I must have felt similar to how a grandparent feels when her grandchildren are hundreds of miles away. I called home all the time asking for the latest updates, milestones, and funny "Bo and Rett stories" (and believe me, there were...and still are...plenty of them!). I had their pictures framed all over my apartment. I missed them like crazy!!

I have so many awesome memories of those two rascals. They were six years old when they were the ring bearers in my wedding. I loved being able to show them off!

Watching them with their nieces and nephews has been awesome. I've told you before and I'll say it again... they will be the best dads! They are so comfortable and cute with little kids because they have had plenty of practice. Their nieces and nephews LOVE them and think that they are the BEST UNCLES IN THE WORLD! Just look at the pictures of them with their nieces and nephews - aren't they just the cutest uncles ever!


On a final note, when you're an 18 year old male, it's just "not cool" to be a twin. They both have their own set of friends, their own taste in clothes, their own talents, etc. They try to keep the "twin thing" to a minimum. Of course, the graduates were called out in alphabetical order, so Bo and Rett were side by side when they received their diplomas. And my sisters and I just couldn't help it -when they called out Rett's name, we yelled, "That's my brother!" And immediately after Rett's name, they called Bo's name. The sisters and I then yelled, "That's my brother, too!" I wish I could have seen their faces! They are good sports! We asked them later if they heard us yelling. Rett smiled and said, "Unfortunately."


So life goes on. I commented to my mom that I was surprised that she didn't cry at their graduation. After all, these are her babies. She has been raising kids for 42 years! Anyway, when I said, "Did you even cry?" She looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Are you kidding?!?" Can you imagine being "sixty something" and raising not one, but TWO, teenage boys?!? Yeah...she didn't cry.

But here's to the best brothers and uncles in the world! Go get 'em, tigers!

2 comments:

mimi said...

tiff, you're the best , too. You failed to mention that the sisters yelling caused the crowd to erupt in laughter. That was so fun. I still can't imagine why it embarrassed Holley, so. Yeah, I am going to miss them a whole bunch, I am just trying not to think about it. love mom xoxoxoxo can't wait for the beach.

magic city mom said...

Cute pics Tiff!!! I want more! Post all to your facebook so I can take them. :)