Thursday, June 25, 2009

Happy Reading!

Ya'll, I'm reading the most charming book I've read in a long while. I'm only three-fourths of the way through the book, but I had to go ahead and recommend it to you - I just couldn't wait.

Because I had heard that the book, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society ,was wonderful, I warned my family when I started the book that they might have to do without food and clean clothes for a few days. However, as wonderful as the book is, I've been really disciplined about reading only after the kids are in bed. (Notice I didn't say "after I have tucked them in" - M has been the "tucker" this week so I've been getting an early start on the reading).

Anyway, this is a darling book set in the WWII era. It's actually post WWII, but the book is actually a series of letters and most of the letters are about memories during WWII. Novels, biographies, memoirs, and histories of this time have always somehow appealed to me, ever since I read Anne Frank in seventh grade.

This charming book taught me a little about history, literature, and human nature. The characters - even the unlovable ones - will find a way in to your heart. I was so impressed by their courage to hope, to love, and to hope to love. I am reading this book at a perfect time for me. Go get your copy! You'll love it!

Happy Reading!



1 comment:

Jan said...

I came a visited because my daughter, Carrie, did your blog design. This is a great book. I've met the author a couple of times, even had lunch with her. She's a wonderful woman and I'm hoping for more books from her.